Friday, July 15, 2011

U.S. warns of possible attacks in Ciudad Juarez


A police officer stands guard at a crime scene in Ciudad Juarez June 30, 2011. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez
MEXICO CITY
 
(Reuters) - The U.S. consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico's most violent drug war city, warned on Friday that cartels may be seeking U.S. targets in a possible escalation of violence.

The recent capture of cartel members in the area by Mexican authorities may prompt retaliation and a potential increase in violence in the Chihuahua-state city, which is across the border from El Paso, Texas, the consulate said in a statement.

"Information has come to light that suggests a cartel may be targeting the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez or U.S. Ports of Entry," it said.

Cartels have in the past used car bombs in attacks and U.S. citizens should be vigilant, the statement said.
Ciudad Juarez has become one of the world's most violent places, as rival drug cartels fight over lucrative smuggling routes into the United States.

Earlier this month Texas also warned U.S. citizens to stay away from the border town of Nuevo Laredo in the northeastern Mexican state of Tamaulipas, saying the violent Zetas drug cartel was targeting vacationers there.
(Reporting by Elinor Comlay; Editing by Paul Simao)

Reuters 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.